Monday 9 May 2011

One step forward two steps back

My frequent reader(s) may remember all the talk about going back to University to do my PGCE and become a secondary school teacher. Well here's the update, and it's not great news.

I got a letter from the teacher training people the other day telling me that basically I'm not going to Uni this year. It's not even that I've been turned down, the letter said they were unable to forward my application to the university due to the course being full. There were only a few places left after I first spoke to the university in February, which is why my part of the application was completed three days later. Unfortunately my boss took two bloody months to write my reference and upload it to the website and now my chances of going back to uni this academic year are over.

I'm pissed off about this of course but I'm remaining positive and I'll be the first to have my application in for next year. Between now and then I will be working my arse off on the whole maths thing and doing whatever else it takes to jump through all the hoops the uni want me to and more.

Luckily the work front is looking a little better at the moment. After a run of bad luck and a dry spell of gigs things may be starting to turn around. Last month I was hired to play timpani for a Requiem being sung by a choir and this month I'm going to be depping for a band as their drummer can't make a gig. This is a really good opportunity with a really good established band and it looks like it could lead to more work. On top of the potentially good I get more teaching hours in school from next month too and hopefully the September term will bring a few more hours too.

One step forward and two steps back maybe but at least I'm remaining positive for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment