Saturday 5 February 2011

Make 'em laugh

I'm really not a fan of going to music gigs, I think mainly it's a busman's holiday kind of thing with me, but I would rarely spend £50 on gig tickets to see a band. I'm also not a big fan of large crowds of people especially when those people are making sudden movements vaguely resembling some kind of dance move crossed with severe epilepsy and screaming slightly incorrect lyrics out of key at the top of their lungs.

But I do have a passion for watching stand-up comedy and a respect, appreciation and I must admit jealously for those who are just naturally funny and able to be funny on stage. I don't even mind crowds so much at comedy gigs, I'm lulled into a false sense of security when people around me are laughing so hard they cry.

I'm suffering from slight bloggers block at the moment, so this post is basically my top 5 stand-up comedians and some short video clips of each one in the hope that someone else laughs today too. 

5. Louis CK - Funny, ginger and first made me laugh with the sitcom Lucky Louie. He's not that known here in the UK but he makes me smile. Just don't watch Pootie Tang!



4. Stephen Lynch - Seeing him in Liverpool a few years ago was one of the best nights of my life. I even went to see him with an ex who had no sense of humour at all and even she laughed.




3. Dara O'Brain - Well known in the UK for being one of the sharpest and wittiest comedians ever. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't find Dara funny, and if you don't well then you're just wrong.



2. Tim Minchin - Modern musical genius and comedy God. I've had the pleasure of sitting front row and being the butt of his jokes and also bumping into him in the street. His song 'White Wine in The Sun', essentially a Christmas song for those of us who don't believe in God is, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs ever written.



1. George Carlin - The only one on my list I never got to see live. I still find it hard to believe that most people in the UK have no idea who the late George Carlin is. His humour touches on almost every subject that is still a taboo in many places and he attracted a lot of criticism from religious groups in the early days of his comedy career. He is the inspiration for many of todays comedians and my all time favourite stand-up comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment