Tuesday 18 January 2011

My 2011 Film Challenge

I'm taking part in the film challenge 2011 where I shall be attempting to watch 250 movies I haven't seen before over the next year.

There are a few thing's you should know about me to explain why I am doing this challenge:

1. On January 15th I gave up smoking, a 20 a day habit I've had on and off since the age of 13. I'm doing it with help from the NHS, nicotine patches and the support of my wonderful girlfriend but still, it's bloody hard and I'm only on day four. Hopefully watching lot's of films will help distract me from the cravings and the challenge will give me something to focus on.

2. My job title is professional musician and freelance tutor. In real terms this means I have lots of free time when 
either I'm between gigging jobs, working unsociable hours so I'm on my own when everyone else is out at work or I'm doing lesson plans and general teacher preparation stuff that can be done whilst watching a movie.

3. I'm a total TV, movie and games geek whose house looks like the inside of a Planet Hollywood restaurant crossed with Blockbuster Video due to the autographs lining the walls, props, replicas and somewhere around 700 DVDs (See exhibits A through D, and please try not to judge me










I will be using mainly LoveFilm.com thanks to @digitalshades for the recommendation and the voucher ,,and hopefully I'll rack up a few points on my Odeon card by the end of the year too. I'm also pretty sure that my girlfriend Amy will be sitting me in front of the many musicals and black & white chick flicks that I've managed to avoid for the past 26 years, which I'm sure will be fun.

So, to set my rules straight: 250 films I have not previously seen between 01/01/11 and 31/12/11. I will not count movies I have seen before, boxsets of TV shows or movies where I fall asleep whilst watching. I am allowed to skip the end credits

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan sir.

    I assume you may have seen all the main stream films so you may have seen some/all of these so I shall share with you my top 10

    1. The Crimson Pirate
    2. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. An Officer and a Gentleman
    4. Disney's Summer Magic
    5. Shoot em up
    6. Paris when it sizzles
    7. Brief Encounter
    8. Equilibrium
    9. Lethal Weapon
    10. Battle Royale

    xxx Cwtchy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cwtch - I've seen everything but The Crimson Pirate, Disney's summer magic and Paris when it sizzles. I shall actively seek out all of these so thank you for the suggestions. I know Amy, being a big Hepburn fan, has plans to make me watch Paris when it sizzles so with that getting two votes now it has to be a must.

    Everyone - I'm open to film suggestions so if something springs to mind that you think is a must see let me know and i'll attempt to hunt it down and give it a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I'm amys friend incase you did'nt know :)
    i watched Butterfly on a Wheel with my boyfriend over christmas, and if you like films that keep you guessing right till the end, its a must see.
    Also, I don't know if you're into anime at all, but Studio Ghibli films are my weak indulgence, especially My Neighbour Totoro.
    Have fun with the film watching, I plan to do this after Uni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah. I shall take a look for Butterfly on a Wheel as I very much like films that keep me guessing because so few actually manage it. I should probably give anime a go this year too. I've seen various bits before but nothing that's ever really drwan me in but I'm definitely not adverse togiving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you do try, definitely watch
    Spirited Away
    Howls moving Castle
    Ghost in the Shell
    Grave of the Fireflys
    and of course My Neighbour Totoro. Hiyao Miyazaki is a genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall attempt to watch at least one anime movie this year. It's always been something I've just never managed to get into even though I have no particular aversion to it. The only film I really won't watch are Bollywood and Nollywood. I've tried both and they really just do nothing for me. I've always wanted to like anime so maybe now's my chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha same, bollywood films are just SO long and so confusing and have way too many characters and convoluted plot lines you don't care about enough to follow!
    Some anime I don't like, for example more 'serious' ones like Evangelion, I tend to stick to ones that are a bit like kids cartoons for adults ;D

    ReplyDelete